From Risking Life As A Young Anti-Nazi Scout In Poland To A Cold War Broadcasting Career At Radio Free Europe and Voice of America


By Ted Lipien for Cold War Radio Museum


Marek Walicki, the former journalist of the Polish Service of Radio Free Europe and the Polish section of the Voice of America, is the author of  Z Polski Ludowej do Wolnej Europy (From People’s Poland to Free Europe), Bellona, Warsaw, 2018, a memoir of his life and radio career. During World War II, Walicki was a member of the Gray Ranks, a codename for the anti-Nazi underground paramilitary Polish Scouting Association (Związek Harcerstwa Polskiego – ZHP). In 1949, he escaped from Poland through Czechoslovakia to the American occupation zone of Germany. In 1952, he became an employee of the Voice of Free Poland (later the Polish Service of Radio Free Europe), initially as a monitor of radio broadcasts from Poland and later as an author of programs and news reports.

One of Marek Walicki’s proposals after escaping to the West and working at the Munich headquarters of RWE was broadcasting historical programs for young people. He also proposed to the Polish Service director, Jan Nowak-Jeziorański, to create programs about scouting “that would make young people aware of how the communists, after rejecting Baden-Powell’s ideology, remade the Polish Scouting Association on the model of the Soviet Pioneer.”

After leaving for the United States in 1955, he worked from 1960 to 1976 as an editor in the New York branch of RFE’s Polish Service. After its complete liquidation, he went to work in the Polish section of the Voice of America. From 1982 to 1993, he was the deputy to the section chief Tadeusz Lipień when the radio station multiplied the number of listeners in Poland and was the head of the section from 1993 until his retirement in 1994.

Walicki was involved with scouting from a very young age. In 1943, at twelve, he took the oath as a young member of the Gray Ranks scouting group in Wilanów. One of his tasks was carrying anti-Nazi underground newspapers and probably also weapons.

After the war, he remained in the scouting movement. In his memoirs From People’s Poland to Free Europe, Walicki included a photograph of the dedication in the book Stones for the Rampart from the author, Aleksander Kamiński, then vice-chairman of the Polish Scouting Association, whom he met in Łódź in 1946.

I wish Marek Walicki that he would follow in the footsteps of great scouts: Robert Baden-Powell, Andrzej Małkowski, and the heroes of “Stones for the Rampart,” in what was the most valuable for these people: in working on improving oneself and in continuous service, above all, in the service of everyday life and the service of peace. A. Kamiński, Łódź, March 30, 1947.

Walicki recalls that shortly after he met with Kamiński, the “Communist Party group” … in the scouting leadership in the People’s Republic of Poland “reassessed Kamiński’s book, strongly rejecting all his recommendations.” Walicki and several scouts from his team decided to leave the Polish Scouting Association, convinced that the Baden-Powell ideology had ceased to apply in the Polish scouting movement as it became controlled by the communists. However, many who remained tried to maintain the previous model as much as possible.

Before the communist authorities in Poland took over the scouting leadership, Walicki mentions going to a summer scout camp in Tomaszkowo near Olsztyn in 1946, where the camp’s commandant was sub-scoutmaster Zbigniew Brydak. Brydak later tried to force the scouts to wear red scarves, following the example of the Soviet pioneers. He then appeared in West Germany, and, as a communist security service agent in the Polish branch of the Voice of America in Munich and an occasional RFE Polish Service collaborator, he tried to lure Walicki out of the West so that he could be captured by the authorities of the People’s Republic of Poland. Walicki did not follow Brydak’s advice and shared his suspicions about his former scoutmaster with Jan Nowak.

Walicki wrote that even before his spy mission to the West, Brydak recruited “several of his colleagues in Poland for a fictitious secret anti-communist scouting, and when there were no more candidates – he handed over all to the torturers of the communist security service.”

Exposed as a spy, Brydak returned from West Germany to the People’s Republic of Poland after being released by the Americans. He engaged in pro-regime and anti-Western propaganda in Poland, writing articles for the “Świat” magazine, edited by Stefan Arski, who also previously worked for the Voice of America. Under his real name Artur Salman, Arski was during the war an employee of the Office of War Information (OWI) in New York, where the broadcasts of the American government radio station were created. He was in contact with Oskar Lange, a Soviet agent of influence and the future first ambassador in Washington of the People’s Republic of Poland, and with Bolesław Gebert, a Soviet intelligence agent and the future Warsaw regime’s ambassador in Turkey.

Fearing dismissal as part of President Truman’s administration’s attempt to remove pro-Soviet influence at the station, Arski resigned from the Voice of America in 1947. After a short association with the Embassy of the Polish People’s Republic in Washington as the writer of a policy booklet on the issue of the Polish-German border, Arski returned to Poland, joined the Polish United Workers’ [Communist] Party, and was one of the country’s main pro-regime and anti-Western propagandists. He wrote articles and books denouncing journalists of Radio Free Europe and the Voice of America. He also strongly criticized the efforts of the U.S. Congress to reveal the truth about the Katyn massacre of thousands of Polish POW military officers and intellectual leaders in Soviet captivity.

Like Arski, another former Voice of America editor during World War II, Mira Złotowska,  also returned to Poland, where she married a high-ranking communist diplomat and translated books by the former VOA chief wartime news writer and editor Howard Fast, but she and Fast are not mentioned in the book. Fast, a bestselling author of novels about American history, was a communist who, in 1953, received the Stalin Peace Prize.

Marek Walicki and many other Poles, both in Poland and refugees in the West, followed a different path than former Voice of America employees: Arski, Brydak, and Złotowska, a talented writer better known under her married name Michałowska and pen names Maria Zientarowa and Mira Michal, who wrote stories for what became a popular television series in communist-ruled Poland. Walicki mentions Arski but his book does not cover the history of the World War II Voice of America.

Walicki’s older colleagues, including the legendary anti-Nazi underground radio coder Zofia Korbońska, who together with her husband, Stefan Korboński, the head of the anti-Nazi Social Resistance Department of the Directorate of Underground Resistance, had to flee Poland to avoid arrest by the communist regime or the Soviet NKVD, replaced the pro-Soviet Voice of America Polish staff. However, they continued to encounter a lack of understanding from the American management for the needs of journalism and broadcasting to a country ruled by a repressive regime.

During the war, the Korbońskis were responsible for the Home Army radio station, which transmitted current information to London, which was then retransmitted to Poland by the “Świt” radio station. Zofia Korbońska started working for the Voice of America in 1948 on the recommendation of the former American ambassador to Poland, Arthur Bliss Lane. After a short period of relative freedom in the final years of the administration of President Truman and the first years of the administration of President Eisenhower in revealing the atrocities of the regimes of Russia and the Polish People’s Republic, the management of the Voice of America resumed partial censorship of programs considered too critical of the Soviet Union and communists in Central and Eastern Europe.

Marek Walicki writes with appreciation about journalistic freedom at Radio Free Europe in comparison to the working conditions at the Voice of America. In the book, he describes an attempt by the management to censor the VOA news report in 1978 about the Katyn massacre. The censorship was met with strong protests from the employees of the Polish section and criticism in the U.S. Congress and the American media. Even during the independent Solidarity trade union’s struggle for democracy in Poland, the Voice of America’s central news department sometimes issued texts for translation by foreign-language sections with terms such as “illegal Solidarity.” Because one of the employees of the Polish unit translated “illegal” literally from English, Walicki crossed out the adjective or changed it to “delegalized.”  Much of the pro-Soviet censorship at the Voice of America ended, however, with the start of the Reagan administration and was never practiced at Radio Free Europe and Radio Liberty.

Despite various difficulties, Marek Walicki called his work at both radio stations his life’s success story:

And so the radio stations – Free Europe and Voice of America – replaced the Polish army I dreamed of joining when escaping from the People’s Republic of Poland in 1949. I served in them for nearly half a century. I retired with a sense of a well-fulfilled duty, having lived to see a free and independent Poland. And although – in my opinion – both Polish sections of these radio stations were closed much too early, I am very happy today that after various major and minor struggles or battles, we achieved – through a joint effort – a great victory.

Z harcerstwa Szarych Szeregów do dziennikarstwa w Radiu Wolna Europa i Głosie Ameryki

Tadeusz Lipien dla Muzeum Radia Zimnej Wojny

Marek Walicki, były dziennikarz Rozgłośni Polskiej Radia Wolna Europa i sekcji polskiej Głosu Ameryki (ang. Voice of America), jest autorem książki Z Polski Ludowej do Wolnej Europy (Bellona, Warszawa, 2018). Podczas II wojny światowej Walicki był członkiem Szarych Szeregów. W 1949 uciekł z Polski przez Czechosłowację do amerykańskiej strefy okupacyjnej Niemiec. W 1952 został pracownikiem Głosu Wolnej Polski (późniejsza nazwa Rozgłośnia Polska Radia Wolna Europa), początkowo w nasłuchu radiowym, a następnie jako autor programów i reportaży.

Jedną z propozycji Marka Walickiego po ucieczce na Zachód i podjęciu pracy w monachijskiej siedzibie RWE było nadawanie audycji historycznych dla młodzieży. Zaproponował również dyrektorowi Rozgłośni Polskiej Janowi Nowakowi-Jeziorańskiemu stworzenie audycji harcerskich, „które uświadamiałyby młodzież, w jaki sposób komuniści, po odrzuceniu ideologii Baden-Powella, przerabiali ZHP na wzór sowieckiego Pioniera”.

Po wyjeździe do Stanów Zjednoczonych w 1955 pracował od 1960 do 1976 jako redaktor w nowojorskim oddziale Rozgłośni Polskiej RWE. Po jego całkowitej likwidacji przeszedł do pracy w sekcji polskiej Głosu Ameryki. Od 1982 do 1993 był zastępcą szefa sekcji Tadeusza Lipienia w okresie kiedy rozgłośnia wielokrotnie zwiększyła liczbę słuchaczy w Polsce, i był kierownikiem sekcji od 1993 do przejścia na emeryturę w 1994.

Walicki był w młodości ściśle związany z harcerstwem. W 1943 roku, mając dwanaście lat, złożył przysięgę jako zawiszak w drużynie harcerskiej Szarych Szeregów w Wilanowie. Jednym z jego zadań było przenoszenie podziemnej bibuły, a prawdopodobnie także broni.

Po wojnie pozostał kilka lat w harcerstwie. W swych wspomnieniach Z Polski Ludowej do Wolnej Europy, Walicki zamieścił fotografię dedykacji w książce Kamienie na szaniec od autora, Aleksandra Kamińskiego, ówczesnego wiceprzewodniczącego ZHP, którego poznał w Łodzi w 1946 roku.

Markowi Walickiemu życzę, aby szedł śladami wielkich harcerzy: Roberta Baden-Powella, Andrzeja Małkowskiego i bohaterów „Kamieni na szaniec,” w tym, co dla tych ludzi było najcenniejszym: w pracy nad sobą i w ciągłej służbie, przede wszystkim służbie dnia codziennego i w służbie pokoju. A. Kamiński, Łódź, 30 III 47 r.

Walicki przypomina, że wkrótce po jego spotkaniu z Kamińskim, „grupa pezetperowska”… w kierownictwie harcerstwa w PRL „dokonała ponownej oceny książki Kamińskiego, zdecydowanie odrzucając wszelkie jego zalecenia.” Walicki wraz z kilkoma harcerzami swojej drużyny postanowili wystąpić z peerelowskiego ZHP przekonani, że ideologia baden-powellowska przestała obowiązywać, chociaż wielu, którzy pozostali, starało się nadal w miarę możliwości kierować się nią w ruchu harcerskim.

Zanim władze komunistyczne zdominowały ZHP, Walicki wspomina o wyjeździe w 1946 roku na letni obóz harcerski w Tomaszkowie koło Olsztyna, gdzie komendantem obozu był podharcmistrz Zbigniew Brydak. On to później, jako agent UB w monachijskim oddziale polskim Głosu Ameryki i okazyjny współpracownik RWE, usiłował podstępnie ściągnąć Walickiego z Zachodu, by mógł być schwytany przez funkcjonariuszy Urzędu Bezpieczeństwa PRL. Walicki nie dał się namowić do powrotu do Polski i podzielił się z Janem Nowakiem swymi podejrzeniami o Brydaku.

Walicki pisze, że jeszcze przed swą misją szpiegowską na Zachód, Brydak zwerbował w Polsce „kilku swych kolegów do fikcyjnego tajnego antykomunistycznego harcerstwa, a gdy zabrakło już dalszych kandydatów – wydał wszystkich sprowokowanych w ręce oprawców UB”. Wcześniej Brydak zmuszał harcerzy do noszenia czerwonych chust na wzór sowieckich pionierów.

Zdemaskowany jako szpieg, Brydak po wypuszczeniu go na wolność przez Amerykanów wrócił z Niemiec Zachodnich do PRL. Po powrocie do Polski zajmował się proreżimową i antyzachodnią propagandą pisząc artykuły do czasopisma „Świat” redagowanego przez Stefana Arskiego, który także pracował wcześniej w Głosie Ameryki. Pod swym prawdziwym nazwiskiem Artur Salman, Arski był w czasie wojny pracownikiem Biura Informacji Wojennej w Nowym Jorku, gdzie powstawały audycje amerykańskiej rozgłośni rządowej. Był w kontakcie z sowieckim agentem wpływu Oskarem Lange, przyszłym ambasadorem PRL w Stanach Zjednoczonych, i z agentem wywiadu sowieckiego Bolesławem Gebertem, przyszłym ambasadorem PRL w Turcji.

Obawiając się pozbawienia etatu w ramach prób administracji prezydenta Trumana osłabienia pro-sowieckich wpływów w rozgłośni, Arski zrezygnował w 1947 roku z pracy w Głosie Ameryki. Po krótkiej współpracy z Ambasadą PRL, wrócił do Polski, wstąpił do PZPR i był w kraju jednym z głównych proreżimowych i antyzachodnich propagandystów. Pisał artykuły i książki potępiające dziennikarzy Radia Wolna Europa i Głosu Ameryki. Ostro krytykował również zabiegi Kongresu Stanów Zjednoczonych o ujawnienie prawdy o sowieckiej zbrodni katyńskiej.

Do Polski wróciła także po wojnie była pracowniczka sekcji polskiej Głosu Ameryki Mira Złotowska, która wzięła ślub z komunistycznym dyplomatą i tłumaczyła książki byłego głównego redaktora wiadomości Voice of America Howarda Fasta, amerykańskiego komunisty, który w 1953 roku otrzymał Międzynarodową Stalinowską Nagrodę Pokoju. Walicki nie wgłębia się w historię Głosu Ameryki w czasie wojny, ale pisze sporo o swoim szefie w Radiu Wolna Europa Janie Nowaku i o Zofii Korbońskiej w Głosie Ameryki.  Odnotowuje też krótko w książce rolę Stefana Arskiego.

Marek Walicki i wielu innych Polaków, tak w Polsce jak i na emigracji, poszli inną drogą niż byli pracownicy Głosu Ameryki: Arski, Brydak, i utalentowana pisarka Złotowska (nazwisko po drugim mężu – Mira Michałowska; pisząca pod pseudonimami – Maria Zientarowa i Mira Michal; autorka opowiadań do serialu telewizyjnego Wojna domowa). Starsi koledzy Walickiego, tacy jak Zofia Korbońska, która wraz z mężem Stefanem Korbońskim, szefem Oporu Społecznego w Kierownictwie Walki Podziemnej, musiała uciekać z Polski w 1947 roku, by uniknąć aresztowania przez UB lub NKWD, zastąpili prosowiecką ekipę Głosu Ameryki, chociaż oni i on później nadal natrafiali w pracy dziennikarskiej na brak zrozumienia ze strony amerykańskiego kierownictwa Głosu.

W czasie wojny, Korbońscy byli odpowiedzialni za radiostację AK, która przekazywała do Londynu bieżące informacje, retransmitowane następnie do Polski przez rozgłośnię „Świt”. Zofia Korbońska rozpoczęła pracę w Głosie Ameryki w 1948 roku z rekomendacji byłego ambasadora amerykańskiego w Polsce Arthura Bliss Lane. Po krótkim okresie względnej swobody w końcowych latach administracji prezydenta Trumana i pierwszych latach administracji prezydenta Eisenhowera w ujawnianiu okrucieństw reżimów Rosji i PRL, kierownictwo Głosu Ameryki wznowiło częściową cenzurę programów uważanych za zbyt krytyczne w stosunku do Związku Sowieckiego i komunistów w Europie środkowo-wschodniej.

Marek Walicki wyraża się z uznaniem o swobodzie dziennikarskiej w Radiu Wolna Europa w porównaniu z warunkami pracy w Głosie Ameryki. Opisuje w książce próbę ocenzurowania w 1978 roku przez kierownictwo rozgłośni wiadomości Głosu Ameryki o kulisach zbrodni katyńskiej, co spotkało się z ostrym protestem pracowników sekcji polskiej oraz krytyką w Kongresie Stanów Zjednoczonych i w mediach amerykańskich. Nawet w okresie Solidarności amerykański dział wiadomości Voice of America wydawał niekiedy dzienniki do tłumaczenia przez sekcje obcojęzyczne z takimi określeniami jak illegal Solidarity („nielegalna Solidarność”). Ponieważ jeden z pracowników sekcji polskiej tłumaczył illegal dosłownie z angielskiego, Walicki wykreślał przymiotnik lub zamieniał na „zdelegalizowana”.  Dopiero administracja prezydenta Reagana zdołała wyeliminować większość ograniczeń w krytyce reżimów komunistycznych w programach Głosu Ameryki. Podobnej  prosowieckiej cenzury nigdy nie było w Radiu Wolna Europa i w Radiu Swoboda.

Pomimo różych utrudnień, Marek Walicki nazwał swą pracę w obu rozgłośniach życiowym sukcesem:

I tak to rozgłośnie – Wolna Europa i Głos Ameryki – zastąpiły mi wojsko polskie, o którym marzyłem, uciekając z PRL-u w roku 1949. Służyłem w nich blisko pół wieku. Przeszedłem na emeryturę z poczuciem dobrze spełnionego obowiązku, doczekawszy się Polski wolnej i niepodległej. I choć – moim zdaniem – obie polskie sekcje tych rozgłośni zamknięto o wiele za wcześnie, jestem dziś bardzo szczęśliwy, że po różnych większych i mniejszych zmaganiach czy bojach odnieśliśmy – wspólnym wysiłkiem – wielkie zwycięstwo.